2004 Most Influential African-Americans in Radio (3/08/04)
Perhaps the greatest hurdle for the African-American broadcaster is a playing field that has never been level and that shows no sign of leveling any time soon. Once again, Radio Ink lists the Most Influential African-Americans in Radio, identifying men and women whose hard work and dedication deserve recognition and respect. This year's list has been expanded to 35.
1. Alfred Liggins President/CEO, Radio One Inc.
2. Catherine Hughes Founder/Chairperson, Radio One Inc.
3. Pierre "Pepe" Sutton Chairman/CEO, ICBC Broadcast Holdings
4. Sydney L. Small Chairman/CEO, Access.1 Communications Corp.
5. Tom Joyner Host, The Tom Joyner Morning Show and Chairman, Reach Media
6. Ronald Davenport, Sr. Chairman, Sheridan Broadcasting
7. Skip Finley Vice Chairman, ICBC Broadcast Holdings Inc.
8. Charles Warfield President/COO, ICBC Broadcast Holdings Inc.
9. Barry Mayo Sr. VP/Market Manager, WQHT/WRKS/WQDC New York (Emmis)
10. Zemira Jones President/GM, ABC Radio Chicago
11. Darryl Brown Executive VP/GM, ABC Radio Networks
12. Michael L. Carter Chairman/CEO, Carter Broadcast Group Inc.
13. Bruce Demps Sr. VP/ Mid-America Region, Clear Channel Radio
14. Wayne Brown VP/GM, Radio One, Atlanta and Regional Manager, Raleigh N.C./Charlotte N.C.
15. Lee Armstrong Clear St Louis Market Manager, RVP/Clear Channel Radio
16. Al Vicente President/CEO, Archway Broadcasting Group LLC
17. Chesley Maddox-Dorsey President/COO, Access.1 Communications Corp.
18. E.J. Jay Williams President, American Urban Radio Networks
19. Earl Jones Market Manager/RVP, Clear Channel Louisville
20. Rick Caffey Sr.VP/Market Manager, Infinity Atlanta Radio Group
21. Earnest James Senior VP/Market Manager, Infinity Broadcasting Orlando
22. Taft Harris GM, WSRB/WYCA/WPWX (Crawford Broadcasting)
23. Kernie Anderson GM, WBLS-FM and WLIB-AM, New York
24. Glenn Cherry Owner/President/CEO, Tama Broadcasting Inc.
25. Doug Banks Syndicated personality, ABC Radio Networks
26. Steve Hegwood CEO/President, On Top Communications
27. Jerry Rushin GM, WEDR/WHQT Miami (Cox)
28. Tony Kidd (Anthony Keitt) VP/GM, (WALR, WFOX) Cox Radio Atlanta
29. Karen Slade VP/GM, KJLH Los Angeles
30. Alex Snipe Jr. Owner/President, Glory Communications
31. Tony Washington VP/Corporate Sales, Radio One Inc.
32. Jim Winston Executive Director, NABOB
33. Doc Wynter VP/Programming/Urban Radio, Clear Channel
34. Sherman Kizart VP/Director of Urban Marketing, Interep
35. (tie) Muriel Funches New Orleans Market Manager, Clear Channel Radio
35. (tie) Launa Thompson Station Manager/GSM, WGCI-AM/FM, WVAZ-FM (Clear Channel)
Comment on this story
|| From the Publisher