Social Media Community Power
Radio has always been a powerful local social network. “Back in the day” stations used to focus on where they could have the most impact locally and truly engage local communities. Of course, some stations still do this today, but social media gives you powerful opportunities to both execute great strategy to engage the local ground and gain access and credit for doing the good things that are meaningful to your community. Let’s look at a few ways you can up your game for your station based on social media.
1. Review what is already happening locally in social media for groups and interested parties focused on doing “good” in your community; see what engagement is already happening and how large the efforts are today.
2. Select your target in social media based on the target audience and lifestyle of your radio station’s audience.
3. Focus in on helping local groups you can impact.
4. Zero in on local causes with high passion and local need.
5. In some cases you can find a “parade” and get in front of it. In other cases, you may find a cause that is so powerful and so underserved that your efforts can truly make your station the hero. Either way, do it. You’ll be glad you did.
The world may be getting smaller, but radio always has the power to impact local and we shouldn’t lose that power or underestimate what it can do for our communities and our brands.
Starting this process may be as easy as asking staff what they feel passionate about today. Starting there gets you passionate “warriors” for local causes that may have great power for the community, your brand, and help propel your company forward in the 21st century in hidden ways you can predict ahead of time. Sometimes that turns into pure revenue!
Loyd Ford is the digital revenue, direct marketing, ratings and social media strategist for Rainmaker Pathway and Americalist Direct Marketing. Loyd has programmed very successful radio brands in markets of all sizes, including KRMD AM & FM in Shreveport, and WSSL and WMYI in Greenville, WKKT in Charlotte and WBEE in Rochester, NY. Learn more about Loyd here: http://about.me/loydford. Get his radio-social media content sent directly to your smart phone or email for free here: www.rainmakerpathway.wordpress.com. Reach out to Loyd via e-mail HERE. Visit his Facebook radio social media page HERE.