Cox Says Tampa Station Flip Going Well
In response to our story that picked out three negative listener Facebook comments about Cox's WSUN flipping formats in Tampa, we received a list of highlights from the station pointing out the positives of how the change to Listener Driven Radio is going. The station says "WSUN is a concept that will take some time to educate listeners and advertisers. It's different and radio needs to try these kinds of things to increase the depth of our listener relationship." Here are some stats from WSUN after day one
- In the first 7 hours we didn't play one song. We allowed the listeners time to download the new App and vote on the first song. In those seven hours, we had nearly 70,000 song votes. An average of 3 votes per second. As of this morning, we had just over 1,000,000 song votes.
- We didn't know what to expect as far as App downloads in the first weekend. We set a goal of 1000 downloads by this morning. We had nearly 12,000 App downloads.
- In light of the negative posts, 97X grew their FB likes this weekend.
- Over 88,600 Mobile App Sessions and over 196,000 Desktop Website User Sessions. Our listeners are engaging at a level we didn't anticipate.
- The "Open Mic" function is something that I don't believe is being done anywhere and clearly creates a deeper relationship with the listener. We have received 2 Open Mic requests per minute, on average thus far.
(1/23/2013 9:09:44 AM) |
That's great ... they grew their Facebook likes. Let us know when that equals revenue increases.
This sort of setup will have SOME fans, but it will also drive listeners away. Radio isn't JUST about music. If it was, talk/sports/non-music formats wouldn't exist. But go ahead. Make yourself a regulated broadcast Pandora. Pandora will then kick you to the curb and laugh about it.
|- Just Sayin|
Add a Comment | View All Comments